What position(s) do you hold, besides being a HousingWorks Austin board member?
I serve as an Executive Director, Foundations, with the Seton Healthcare Family; and as a volunteer policy advisor for Austin Mayor Steve Adler. Previously, I was police monitor for the City of Austin; a partner in the law firm of McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, L.L.P.; and chief of the Trial Division at the Travis County District Attorney’s Office.
I also function as the executive pastor at Agape Christian Ministries, and I am on the Executive Board of Directors for Austin Bridge Builders Alliance (ABBA), a faith-based intermediary that builds bridges within the Christian Church and connects resources in the Church to needs in the Austin region.
Other current board service includes: Immediate-Past President of the Austin Area Research Organization (AARO); Immediate-Past Chair of the Board for the Greater Austin Black Chamber of Commerce; Executive Board, The 100 Black Men of Austin; I Live Here, I Give Here; and the Greater Austin Crime Commission.
I am married to my bride of 36 years, Co-Pastor Jennifer R. Cumberbatch. We were blessed with four children: Graham, Virginia, Benjamin and Elizabeth.
Where did you grow up and attend school?
I grew up in New York City and attended undergrad at Brown University in Providence, RI. I earned my law degree from the University of Texas at Austin.
What are your major career accomplishments?
I have received many awards and honors including
- American Diabetes Association, Father of the Year;
- Austin Area Interreligious Ministries (now IACT) Hope Award;
- American Heart Association Power Award;
- The Central Texas African American Family Support Conference’s Garnet F. Coleman Eternal Flame Award;
- University of Texas School of Law’s Thurgood Marshall Legal Society’s Distinguished Alumni Award;
- Austin NAACP Outstanding Service Award;
- City of Austin Distinguished Service Award; and
- Austin Metropolitan YMCA Will W. Miller Volunteer Leadership Award.
What are some interests of yours not related to your work or HousingWorks?
I enjoy road cycling, music, automobile racing and photography.